Posted on 14/4/2014
South Seeds have recently been given permission to use three areas of unused ground to develop into community gardens. We are looking for someone to assist South Seeds on a voluntary basis to generate local interest, organise meetings and workdays and to help out with the building of the gardens. The role may also require physical work such as building raised beds or moving compost and topsoil. An interest and enthusiasm for gardening is essential, though no previous experience is needed. Training opportunities maybe available if required. All South Seeds staff and volunteers also receive a free Basic Disclosure check.
Over the last 3 years South Seeds have been involved in developing 20 food growing sites around Govanhill, Crosshill, Queens Park and Strathbungo. These have included local primary schools, sheltered housing, backcourts and areas of wasteland.
• To work as part of the South Seeds team.
• To support South Seeds work to create community gardens.
• To engage with project participants in a positive and constructive.
• To communicate effectively with the team and the general public.
• To work with team members to achieve goals
• To report on the success of tasks.
• Ability to work as part of a team or alone
• Good communication skills
• An interest in gardening
• Active and reasonably fit
Responsible to: Robin, the Community Development and Growing Officer
Hours of work: 8 hours per week (1 full day or 2 half days with occasional evening and/or weekend opportunities)
Place of work: Our office is on Butterbiggins Road and we cover Govanhill, Crosshill, Queen’s Park and Strathbungo in the southside of Glasgow.
Please fill in our Request to Volunteer Form on the South Seeds website www.southseeds.org and email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th April 2014.
For more information about South Seeds visit www.southseeds.org. If you would like to speak to someone about this opportunity please call Robin, our Community Development and Growing Officer on 0141 636 3959 or email email@example.com.